For those of you that wish to reference your local MSSQL database by any other name than LOCALHOST or MSSQLSERVER (which it's named by default if you didn't change it during the installer), you can follow the instructions below to change the name.
Note that this also works with SQL Express installations if you want to have localhost work as the alias for localhost\sqlexpress.
Alias for SQL Configuration
- Launch the Sql Server Configuration Manager application, simply start typing from the windows start screen and you should see this executable utility filter to the top.
- Click on the SQL Native Client XX.0 Configuration (XXbit) element in the tree, and then click on Aliases
- Right-click and select New Alias
- In the Alias Name field, choose a new name that you want to reference the server by, ex. localhost
- In the Server field, specify the name of the server that you wish to point to, ex. localhost\sqlexpress